
I have several books that I like to read once per year. David Copperfield is my favorite.
David Copperfield is said to be the life story of Charles Dickens. He lived in poverty and knew all too well about the rejects and misfits that he so adored. During an interview, Dickens said, "I have a favorite son and his name is David Copperfield."
The reason that I enjoy this book so much is that it is about an abused and abandoned boy. It is about a child who is made to feel that he is not good. The thing is, David Copperfield is very good and worth knowing. He goes off to find his Aunt Trotwood and when he finds her, he is reborn.
One of my treasured passages in David Copperfield is when Mr. Dick, a resident at Aunt Trotwood's home flies his kites. He is a man with some emotional or mental issues. He writes these thoughts on paper and then he makes the paper into a kite. Then he flies his kite outside on the breeze. Sending the kite into the air with his burdens releases them from his mind.
He pours them out with great care...the thoughts spill all over his paper. There is nothing neat about his writing. He crosses things out when he isn't satisfied with the wording. He smears the ink with his hands. The papers are very ugly, indeed.
But when he makes his kite and sails it up, up, up, it becomes something beautiful. His messy thoughts are released to Heaven where cares belong...the trick is knowing how to leave your cares airborne after you are done flying your kite. You can't keep taking them back. That is the hardest lessen to learn of all. I am driven to take back my cares and worries, which is what keeps me stuck. Now if you will excuse me, I need to go and make a whole mess of kites so I can sail them tomorrow.

3 comments:
omg. this is so good i have to print it. thank you.
i wanna tell you about a child book im reading here but the title slips my mind right now.
Beautiful, Renee. If I were to do this, there would be enough kites to share with all of the kids in the park. What is the name of this book? It seems worth looking into. Thanks for another great read.
Love,
Sarah
Hi again Renee!
Just stopping by for a visit. another great read - thank you again for your well-written words.
The answer to my hometown riddle by the way is Oconomowoc (say that fast 5 times ;0))and if you would like to see some very cool kite flying, there is always an annual kite festival at the Milwaukee lakefront. A must-see! Have a wonderful day.
Post a Comment