28 April 2005

Remember when...

I remember when I could play outside around our block with the kids from the neighborhood. We weren't stalked. We didn't trash other people's yards, homes or property. We weren't allowed to use our parent's spray paint and we didn't.

I remember watching Walter Cronkite on the evening news. He was like a member of the family and he placed a high value on honesty. He didn't have to "make up" or invent news; it was what it was...and there was more than enough to go around. I think even then news was more about the bad things that happened around the world, but it wasn't sensationalized. It didn't feel like it was common place. It didn't feel like everyone around the world had lost the war with evil.

I remember when the truth was valued as highly as life. If you told a lie, there were consequences and you simply didn't tell a lie because it was wrong.

I remember when the news was the star of the night and not the stars telling the news.

I remember when we said the Pledge of Allegiance because it was a matter of loyalty to country and the boys who paid the ultimate price for our freedom.

I remember when someone said, "Oh my God." There was a tragedy happening and it wasn't just another trite saying.

I remember when differences in opinion didn't get you punched in the face at a council meeting.

I remember when children who were good at a sport played it and if they didn't, parents didn't grab a gun and shoot or kill the coach just because their child didn't play in the game.

I remember when great men had dreams of better days and honor and equality and fairness and hope. I remember Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcom X, John and Robert Kennedy, police officers who upheld the law even as it applied to them.

I remember real heroes, like men who threw themselves on hand grenades to protect the lives of their brothers in arms...like fire fighters and police men and the man next door who took out his ladder to save a neighborhood child's pet.

I remember when we went to school and we graduated. There wasn't any if, ands or buts. We just did it. It was expected....required even.

I remember knowing that things would be better one day. I remember knowing that hatred wouldn't be tolerated in any form. I remember knowing that our neighborhoods were safe and the children in them could play without worry.

I remember all of these things and right now I wonder if it was real or if was all an illusion. Were we really in danger all along? Did everyone hate the differences in others so much that they were willing to murder and maim to prove it? I remember these things, don't I?

3 comments:

lightfeather said...

yes, I remember too. And I remember the feelings of disasters, dreams, heroes, and experiences that felt so strong that I just knew I would never be the same again after experiencing them. I knew the world would be different someday...better. Since I am just an old hippie, I wonder how many of us sold out, gave up, dropped out, or just let the drone of the media drown us out. Sometimes I even say, "nope, I cannot fight this battle again or I need to sit this one out." But then something happens and I say, "you know you've gotta do it" EXPRESS YOURSELF! or when my kiddo and I went to DC over Christmas vacation her senior year and we stood on the exact same step that Martin Luther King stood to give his "I Have a Dream Speech" and you just feel the vibration of all of that energy and know, simply know...we will not nor can not, go quietly.

We remember too much.

Great thoughts!

lightfeather said...

Whew! I have finished my chores of job searching...didn't find a fit AGAIN! Feeling somewhat relieved and frustrated at the same time..I would love to stay and live in the land of orange forever too! I found the lyrics of my favorite Jackson Browne song because this post just reminds me of it. I have already told my kid, "when I make my transition, THIS is the song that has to be at my funeral."

Keep a fire burning in your eye
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down
I don't remember losing track of you
You were always dancing in and out of view
I must have thought you'd always be around
Always keeping things real by playing the clown
Now you're nowhere to be found

I don't know what happens when people die
Can't seem to grasp it as hard as I try
It's like a song I can hear playing right in my ear
That I can't sing
I can't help listening
And I can't help feeling stupid standing 'round
Crying as they ease you down
'Cause I know that you'd rather we were dancing
Dancing our sorrow away
(Right on dancing)
No matter what fate chooses to play
(There's nothing you can do about it anyway)

Just do the steps that you've been shown
By everyone you've ever known
Until the dance becomes your very own
No matter how close to yours
Another's steps have grown
In the end there is one dance you'll do alone

Keep a fire for the human race
Let your prayers go drifting into space
You never know what will be coming down
Perhaps a better world is drawing near
And just as easily it could all disappear
Along with whatever meaning you might have found
Don't let the uncertainty turn you around
(The world keeps turning around and around)
Go on and make a joyful sound

Into a dancer you have grown
From a seed somebody else has thrown
Go on ahead and throw some seeds of your own
And somewhere between the time you arrive
And the time you go
May lie a reason you were alive
But you'll never know

for_the_lonely said...

To have lived in the times that you have...to have experienced MLK, JFK...to have seen the first steps of the man on the moon...to experience "hippie" love...to have grown up in these generations...to have faith in your brothers, sisters, country..what an experience. My life is plagued with the Challenger, OJ, OKC, 9/11, Columbine...to have what your generation had...MLK, JFK...belief and love is lost. My " I remember when's" are really " I wish that...". Thanks for such an inspiring post.

Sarah