15 April 2005

Turn Around Look at Me...

My midday radio show was number one in our core demo. It took a lot of work to get there. Once there, I was able to join the Variety Club and help their Children's Charities. We held a Radiothon and raised funds for the Variety Club.
I was also our station's production director, so I was making all of the promos and putting together songs with snipets of interviews that I conducted with families that benefited from the Variety Club's assistance.
I interviewed one family...
Our son was washing the minivan. He was out there for some time and we didn't hear from him, so I went to check up on him. He was hanging from the driver's side window. Feet dangling. His head stuck between the window and the top of the door. Some how his head got stuck. He looked lifeless.
Call 911!!!!! I threw the door open and pushed the button to open the window
-sirens, flashing lights.
He seemed lifeless. They started CPR and rescue breathing.
He was in fact dead.
My boy was dead.
I am now driving the van that had killed my son. I am following the ambulance to the hospital. I can see them working on him through the back window. They never stopped trying to
save him.
They rushed him to one of the rooms and we were told to wait
and wait
and wait
The doctor came into the lobby.
Your son is alive.
Hallelujah! Rejoice! I remeber all of the promises that I made to God.
No more smoking, drinking or swearing.
No more vices.
No more anger...No more.
The doctor is still talking. He is telling me about brain damage...my son stopped
breathing long enough that there was brain damage.
He did not know how bad it was.
He did not know how my son would be when he awoke...he was in a coma.
A coma is the body's way of shutting itself down so the major organs will have the blood and energy that they need to heal and rejuvenate. I pray that he will rejuvenate.
But he is paralyzed from the neck down.
He can no longer speak clearly.
He cannot call me Dad. He cannot feel me hug him.
My baby, my boy.
He was 12 when it happened.
I interview this father and afterwards climb back into the car. I bawl and sob...I have a healthy son..an active eight year old. I swear to myself that I will NEVER buy a car with power windows.
I cannot work right now. I have to go home. I have to pick up my son and take him to the park. I have to see my son's body working for him...unlike the boy that I just met.
The boy was sweet. He smiled at me. I hugged him and stroke his cheeks. I made him laugh; I made his family laugh...I felt his family's pain.
I went to work the next morning, did my show and then went into the production room. I listened, edited, cut, spliced....we didn't have digital equipment yet....I knew all along that there was only one song to use for this piece....The Vogues'~ Turn Around Look at Me.
There is someone walking behind you,
turn around, look at me.
There is someone watching your footsteps,
turn around, look at me
There is someone who really needs you
here's my heart in my hand.
Turn around, (turn around,) look at me,
(look at me,) understand,
understand,
That there's someone who'll stand beside you.
Turn around, look at me.
And there's someone who'll love and guide you.
Turn around, look at me.
Oh, I've waited, but I'll wait forever
for you to come to me.
Look at someone (look at someone)
who really loves you,
yeah, really loves you.
Turn around, look at me.
And I added conversations from his dad to the song and our phone number so when the song played, listeners would call in. I cried my eyes out the whole time that I was editing the tape and the song. Other station employees would come in to see if I was okay. The sales person for the Variety Club came into the production room when I was finished with the song and I played it for her. She cried. And I KNEW that it was good.
He came to visit me at the mall where I was broadcasting live during the radiothon. I jumped off of the bandstand and ran to him. His eyes sparkled. I gave him a cassette with "his" song on it. I added a few of his favorite songs and dedicated them to him. I dedicated my show to him, too; the next week.
He died eight years later. His poor tired body couldn't go on anymore...His dad's eyes still sparkle at the mention of his name...I still get teary eyed when I hear Turn Around Look at Me. I keep my vow not to own a vehicle with power windows...I tell people about the dangers of them...I remember this boy and I imagine him running in Heaven...full steam ahead...no wheel chair...no boundaries...just like before the accident. I see him in Heaven with his good body and know that he is at peace...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...I am speechless...and crying. Thank you for sharing this story with us. I am glad that you are in a media where you can be a voice for many people. For that, I applaud you. Best of luck to you with your radio station. I wish that I was close enough to hear your broadcast.
Hugs to you,
Sarah
for_the_lonely | Homepage | 04.15.05 - 6:12 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------