29 April 2005

My sick brood

Ah, my poor young 'uns. They are running high fevers. Poor A, she coughs so much, that it is gagging her to the point that she isn't holding anything down...not fluids, nothing. She's been having to use the nebulizer, too, which is a heart-breaker.

T is just lying down on my bed, "Mommy. Mommy! I don't feeeeeeeeeel good. I wish Daddy was here." Me, too I say and then he nods his head and says, "Me, too."

Fitful nights of sleep for three nights now. I can't "fix" it. I am a "fixer." I always have been. I have been trying to stop being a "fixer" because it is exhausting, but this isn't the kind of "fixing" that I don't want to do anymore.

I like to fix other people's problems. I like to fix other people's pain. I am a rescuer. And I think that rescuers are made not born. A rescuer is made when something very traumatic happens in the rescuer's life. No one saved them, so they spend their life saving other people. No one rescued me; therefore, I rescue. I am trying to rescue myself.

I am sitting here staring at that last sentence: I am trying to rescue myself. Wow.

3 comments:

lightfeather said...

It's so hard to be the "fixer!" You know, the only thing is harder is when you decide to stop. It creates a lot of turmoil and dysfunction for quite a while, until you are so uncomfortable that you want to jump right back in and fix it again. I am trying so hard to stay out of that "fix-it pool" and must admit that there are times that my feet still get pretty wet. So far, I haven't been completely submerged and that, for me, is a really good thing!

Thank you for being you and making me think and stretch every day!

Anonymous said...

i wish i could take your babies pain for a day. you are a great mom for being there for them. they will be well and all that will remain is the deep memory of mom's love and care.

for_the_lonely said...

I hope that your kiddos get well soon! And yes, you are a great " fixer!" ;)

Hugs,
Sarah