05 August 2005

There's something good on t.v.

Number One Daughter came into my bedroom this afternoon. I was working at the computer and she said, "There is something good on t.v." I asked her what it was and she made a gesture with her hand. She was making it go straight up and down and then she stated, "It's interesting."

I explained that I didn't understand what she was talking about. "What channel are you watching, Honey," I asked. I guessed that she would reply, Disney, Nick or PBS. Often these are the only channels in our home~well that isn't exactly true. Number One Daughter also loves to watch the Weather Channel. She is fascinated that there are people who can tell us what to wear:)

Well, like I said, I asked what channel she was watching. Her reply: Discovery Home Channel. "Oh really," said I, "what are they doing?" Then she got very excited and replied, "Painting a house!"

She left my room with a big smile on her face. Shortly thereafter, Little Big Boy came in and asked if he could have some paint. Then he asked if everyone could have some paint, even Bessie. Well Son, I explained, dogs cannot paint. He was very sad for her because "painting is fun!"

We are renovating our home, so they can watch G paint almost every weekend. Or hammer or tear down or do over...don't tell him that I said that last part :) Well it is neat that she is getting into the Discovery Home Channel. G and I watch it and wish that we had the money to do the projects. Heck, we wish that we had the money to get the renovations done.

But Number One Daughter finds everything interesting. She is very artistic and cannot wait until we paint her room. She is planning it out already. Her walls are primed. She wants one rainbow wall, a princess wall, horse wall and I cannot remember the other wall. She will have a lovely room.

I think that it will be good for her to help paint her room. I used to think, "NO way! What a mess that would be!" But it isn't like that at all. It doesn't have to be perfect to be a place of discovery. We don't need a 'showroom.' We need a place that spurs her imagination and creativity. Maybe if we work on their imagination now, they won't feel compelled to be perfectionists. Both G and I grew up to be pseudo perfectionists. Well, he IS a PERFECTIONIST. I try to be. It drives us crazy and creates undue stress.

So perfection is not the standard for our brood. We want them to lean toward Monet, Chagall, Cezanne or Picasso. There are enough people in the world who have to square corners. I want rounded and abstract corners~multicolored and themed. I want happiness and contentment. I want them to know that perfection is what we are born with~via God's hand. We don't have to strive to be perfect because he made us perfect in his eyes. That removes a lot of pressure. I asked her what color her walls would be. Yellow. Orange. Pink. Purple. The rainbow~the perfect promise from God. Now THAT is perfection.

4 comments:

for_the_lonely said...

Oh how wonderful..and so very lucky your little girl is to be able to paint her own room! I can not say it enough how fortunate your children are..and how lucky you are to have them too! Blessings to all of you..and I hope that you will be able to take pics of her room once it is completed, so we can all see how God guided her little hands!

Love,
Sarah

A Flowered Purse said...

That is so cute! you know you could do her room in all those colors, tape off squares and make squares that she can paint herself and do 1 whole wall in them or circles. That would be too cute!
Sounds like you have a budding artist on your hands!
Have a great weekend
Dianna

Lois Lane said...

Letting her paint is a great idea. She is going to love her "new room"! Happy weekend to all of you!
Lois Lane
P.S. I loved your rendition of part 2 of the Frito story. LOL!

Karen said...

I let my daughter pick the paints she wanted too--four different colors !
I let her have friends over to help and we had a painting party.
It's so fun for them--most kids have never had the chance to create art that big.
what a blast it was !