28 August 2005

Temptation

September 11th looms. The anniversary of the fateful day when all hell broke loose in the United States is close enough to bolster security around our country, in the air and on the sea, but apparently someone has forgotten what transpired.

The Grand Canyon is Mother Nature's palette in the Southwest. A beautiful mixture of Mother Nature's ability to create as well as destroy...After all, the Grand Canyon was basically created by erosion.

The artist's rendering of the proposed glass-bottomed walkway triggers numerous red flags in my heart, mind and soul.

We do have to live our lives. We have to NOT FEAR, but this is taking fearlessness to an irresponsible level. The new walkway screams, "Here I am! Come and get me." It is not the motto of choice.

The really hard part of nixing this project is that it is a Native American idea set to increase tourism of reservation property. This could be touchy to negotiate as we have taken so much from them.

I do not believe that there is a way to make the walkway reasonably safe. It simply juts out over the canyon. It is an easy target for an airplane. Heck, it looks like it is an easy target for a hail storm!

We can live fearlessly after the events of 911, but we must also create and live responsibly. Perhaps the glass-bottomed walk-out was appealing pre-911, but now, it is simply a "target" and a soft one at that. Back to the drawing board, I say.

5 comments:

Lois Lane said...

It's amazing to think four years have gone by. Yet, it seems like yesterday. Building based on fear is a scary but important thing. Crazy world!
Thank you for cutting me and my potty mouth loose. ;)
Lois Lane

for_the_lonely said...

I hears about this glasbottom ledge on the news..and heard that they are having a difficult time trying to find a company willing to insure them. Sheesh, I wonder why...;)

Hugs to you,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

I just stopped by to thank you for visiting my msn page..you are welcome back anytime! I'll be back to visit and read some more when my son is sleeping better..he is cutting teeth!:(
stay safe,
Nikki

Karen said...

I have to admit it is cool looking but you would have to tie me up, duct tape my mouth, drug me and drag me kicking and screaming onto that thing ! It looks as if it wants to fall from it's teetering pose even without a hail storm or act of terrorism ! that is just a disaster waiting to happen !

Pete said...

Kind of reminds me of the crazy idea they had here.

Building a monorail about Uluru. Of course!!!.....lets ruin one of the worlds most amazing natural wonders with a qwarking great monorail around it!