On December 1, 1956, Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat to a white passenger on a bus.Two months later, she was taken into custody and finger printed. The fact that giving up her seat was the law is obscene.
I wish that we were farther along in race relations and rights. So many people are victimized even in the year 2005.
I am glad that she had the courage to take a stand on that December day so long ago. How many people have that kind of courage? To stand up and be counted in a country where simple basic rights were being denied must have been very frightening. It saddens me that there are still basic rights denied to people.
Poverty, hunger, racism, hatred run rampant in our world, but there are people like Rosa Parks. I hope that everyone who thinks about her today and in the days ahead are changed in a way that helps them do the right thing.
Like next time someone says a racist remark, you take the time to say, "that isn't funny." Or the next time someone gossips about someone who is different, you get up and walk out of the room. Or tell the gossip that you don't like talking about people behind their back.
I don't know if I would have refused to give up my seat. I don't know if I would have been that courageous, but I can live my life a little differently because Rosa Parks was. I hope one day that there won't be a need to discuss basic human rights as a goal in our lives. I hope one day that we will see it come to pass.
Rosa Parks died today-peacefully in her sleep at the age of 92-and I know that Jesus himself was there to welcome her home.

3 comments:
She will be greatly missed!
A true pioneer for civil rights. She was a Godsend.
there are people that truly deserve the title of hero.
Rosa was and always will be an inspiration.
hugs,
Karen
Post a Comment