26 September 2005

Jolly Old St. Nicholas

Lean your ear this way...

I'm glad for Autumn. I'm glad for the cooling temperatures. I'm glad that October is almost here and I'm glad that we are one step closer to winter.

I know that I will complain about the cold-long-six-month winter that we get annually, but this year, maybe more than any other, I long for Christmas.

I long for the gentle soul of Santa-not because of the gifts, but because of the pause and the care that people take in their relations with others-including me. I am longing for Christmas because during that short season, everyone tries a bit harder to be their best self and we surely need more of that in this world.

I do not watch the news. I have allowed myself to skim a newspaper front online, but that is all. I do not read the stories. There must be some good news out there because I hear about the good deeds of people all over the United States who have made donations to hurricane victims. I know that so many clothes have been donated that they do not know what to do with all of them. (I could launch into a rant right here, but I am going to suck it up and let it go.)

I am not disheartened-or sad-I am just lonely for the "feel" of Christmas. The lights and the peace it brings. I think when we learn to live Christmas year round, God will come back and say, "There Child, that is correct. You have learned your lesson well."

Maybe I long for Christmas because in the truest sense, it brings us a bit closer to Eden if only for the short moments. God knows that children bring more of Eden than any other gift of this Earthly life and maybe that's what I miss to. Christmas is a celebration of children. A celebration that we should hold every day. They are what is real and true and so valuable. It's hard to remember that during the 100 m.p.h. days that we live. So let's slow down and bring Christmas today-let's make a child smile or laugh or pull a child close and share a book. If anyone can bring Christmas year-round, it is a child.

6 comments:

Pete said...

something went whocko with my RSS reader and it deleted your feed....i've got some catching up to do!!

It's nice to hear this slant on Christmas....it's pretty easy to get jaded about the whole consumerest, retail invented holiday.

Dr. Deb said...

I agree this is such a warm hearted post. Beautiful song too. Is it Faith Hill?

~Deb

Karen said...

loved this post.
I wish it could be like that year round too :)
hugs,
Karen

sydwynd said...

Those were very lovely words. I've come to dread Christmas to a certain extent. While I love the season, I simply DESPISE the commercialism. When stores start putting up Christmas displays before Halloween just to get a "jump" in sales, I just go crazy. I like my holidays one at a time and like to wait until Thanksgiving to start thinking about Christmas.

However, as you said, if we could keep that Christmas spirit all year long, the world would be a better place.

for_the_lonely said...

I long for Christmas as well..sans the snow! But the facts that you hit in your post..how people are nicer, etc, rings so true. I truly wish that it was Christmas year round.

Love you,
Sarah

for_the_lonely said...

PS...I wrote a story today on my blog, as well as posted a picture that I think you would appreciate! :)

Love you,
Sarah