12 September 2005

The Mutha of all rants

I am all full up.

I am tired of finger pointing.
I am sick and tired of politics.
I am angry to the point of wanting to scream and if I do I am very afraid that I will look exactly like Piccaso's portrait. Just scream and scream and scream.

Now is NOT the time to point fingers. Now is the time to make sure that rescue efforts are working. It is time to insure that people are getting their food, water, clothes and a place to lie their weary heads.

I'm sick and tired of Jesse Jackson calling everything under the sun racism. Yea, there is racism in this world and it is shameful, but now is not the time to say that the color of a person's skin delayed hurricane assistance.

There was a breakdown. BUT now is not the time to discuss the breakdown. It is time to rebuild or build or house, help, hug. It is time to wrap arms around the tragedies that happened and make it right.

I'm also incredibly sick and tired of the insurance industry telling us how to survive. Telling us what to pay them for their policies and then when we need to use our insurance, they change the rules or invent additional fine print.

Insurance companies make billions of dollars. Their lobbyists are many and powerful. That is because the insurance industry can afford to pay huge sums of money to lobbyists, who wine and dine our representatives.

Well insurance companies are telling victims of Hurricane Katrina that their insurance claims will not be approved because THE HURRICANE DID NOT DESTROY THEIR PROPERTY. No say the insurance companies, a FLOOD DESTROYED their property. Thus anyone with hurricane insurance is kicked to the curb by the very insurance companies that have received premiums for hurricane insurance coverage for who knows how many years. This is nothing short of criminal.

Had there not been a hurricane, there would not have been a flood. Have you seen the cars and houses that insurance executives own? These large ticket items are purchased with money that they are stealing from good people who pay their premiums. Sky high premiums that net NOTHING OF BENEFIT.

Write to your congressmen. Threaten to cancel your insurance policies and find a company that isn't denying Katrina claims. Do this today. Do this NOW.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In 1982, I worked the floods of Marin County, California. Point Reyes was virtually destroyed. Mud and silt and I mean a wave of it flooded that beautiful town and homes were destroyed. It was no where near the devastation of Katrina, but it takes time to mobilize assistance. It takes time to move equipment and crews and supplies to devastated areas.
The crime of the Katrina devastation is that the Office of Emergency Services didn't have a plan in place to evacuate people who did not have transportation. Believe me, that will be discussed long and hard. The residents of the area who elected to "stick it out" cannot complain. There was ample warning-just not ample means for the poor to leave.
These things will be rectified. There will be better processes in place to evacuate people. You must let the system work. We must be part of the solution. Pointing fingers is only adding to the chaos.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Other than helping dig out, provide supplies and assist the victims, the biggest impact that we can have is to take the insurance companies to task for deserting the victims in their hour of desperate need. It is shameful that insurance companies get away with so much. Deny everything is their first line of defense. Then you appeal and reappeal and they hope to frustrate you and make you give up trying before you change the outcome. Well enough is enough.
No more drive through surgeries. No more denying hurricane claims by calling it something else. It is time to stop giving insurance companies our hard earned money. Are you with me? Then take pen in hand or pick up your telephone and hit them where they live-in the premium department.

9 comments:

Pete said...

whoooo nelly. That was a great rant!

I bet you feel a whole lot better now....Just don't turn on your tv or listen to the media for a while....take a break.

It is really heartbreaking to hear about what is going on in the states at the moment. We are pretty removed from it all (well the politics of it anyway)here in oz. That's why I love blogs cause you can read the real accounts. Not the murdoch driven spoonfed media that we get here.

It seems to me that George Bush's talk of exporting democrocy and civility to the people of iraq is a little hollow after the giant stuff up that was the post Katrina response.

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes. Don't point fingers. For every moment spent pointing, we're not fixing and repairing.

Lois Lane said...

When you plan a rant, you really plan a rant! Nice work, so very true. And so very sad.
Lois Lane

sydwynd said...

That says it quite well. Insurance companies piss me off. Now it appears Congress wants to pass a law that can cap what insurance companies have to pay and set up some kind of "fund" for future disasters. Typical of them. They'll take your premiums but never want to pay out. And the point of having insurance is?

Dr. Deb said...

YES!!! yes, to everything you wrote.

~Deb


PS: I answered your questions on my blog. Hope your the teacher is minding matters better!

www.kimmy.cc said...

ditto --- I completely agree, this is not a red/blue problem, it is a RED WHITE and BLUE problem!

Karen said...

oh honey !!!!
was that ever a good rant !!!
you know I am with you on this one.
it is just shameful how the insurance companies treat us !
(did I use enough exclamation points yet ?) !!!!!!!!!!
:)
hugs,
Karen

for_the_lonely said...

I can't like it!!! :) Boy, I do believe that what you wrote was one of the best rants that I have ever read! lol So very true though...I second everything that you wrote! :)

Love you,
Sarah

Nancy said...

Excellent rant! Well said and oh so true! Now is the time to help...While we place blame, there is time for that later. There is enough to go around! Help the victims first!