03 September 2005

During times of trial


In 1970, a music group called the Brotherhood of Man released a song called: United We Stand. A few years later, the Coca Cola Bottling Company used the song in an advertising campaign. I can still see the singers climbing the mountain and singing the song.
I have not allowed myself to watch the events unfold. I cannot take anymore pain in the world. I do a little here and a little there and that is what I can do. But I know that people are hurting and that they need help. My attention right now is being paid to our troops and to fight hunger around the world. That does not mean that I do not care about the flood victims; it only means that my resources are already spread.
No matter what we do to help around the world, the important thing is that we are helping. We are trying to raise the comfort level of people who are not as fortunate as we are. I imagine that an African family from Darfur, Africa would be stunned by the size of our "portions." I have to check myself on this from time to time. I feel guilty for having so much. As long as we share the bit that we can, a child some where will have a better chance.
During times of natural disaster, loss or other extreme challenges to human souls, I recall this song. Some of the visions of the disaster relief effort in the South brought to mind the lyrics. I wish that I could have linked to a video of the commercial.
There's nowhere in the world that I would rather be
Than with you my love
And there's nothing in the world that I would rather see
Than your smile my love
For united we stand
Divided we fall
And if our backs should ever be against the wall
We'll be together,
together, you and I
For united we stand
Divided we fall
And if our backs should ever be against the wall
We'll be together,
together, you and I
And if the world about you falls apart my love
Then I'll still be here
And if the going gets too hard along the way
Just you call, I'll hear
For united we stand
Divided we fall
And if our backs should ever be against the wall
We'll be together,
TOGETHER, you and I
For united we stand
Divided we fall
And if our backs should ever be against the wall
We'll be together,
together, you and I....

11 comments:

www.kimmy.cc said...

There is good out there, look at St Tropez Butler, he went yesterday and today, I am going tomorrow and Monday .... we are helping, with what we can, you are helping by being there for us .... we are all connected sweety ....

for_the_lonely said...

I remember this commercial..I thought that the song was " I love to teach the world to sing" ? Was the song that you mentioned the first song used? It sure seems like a beautiful song. A wonderful and moving song for such trying times...

Love you,
Sarah

Lois Lane said...

Perfect words during this time of sorrow. Such a helpless feeling.
Lois Lane

Dr. Deb said...

I remember that song growing up. Seems ever so more poignant now.
~Deb

sydwynd said...

Great words of wisdom. I too haven't been paying too close attention, because the whole situation either pisses me off or just plain depresses me.

United we stand!

Janice said...

I needed to hear the Christmas song. It helps to hear a song of joy at such a sad time. Remember how I told you before that the war and the starving etc made me feel overwhelmed and torn about how to help them all? Now it is worse. You add Katrina on top of Africa and HIV, the Iraq War, the sunami and the infertile, and I feel paralyzed. Well, what better way to get moving than by listening to a Christmas song, since that is the season of giving. Thanks Renee.

Nancy said...

I remember that song...Good song!

Anonymous said...

What a great song!

for_the_lonely said...

Thinking of you and hoping all is well...love you!

sarah

Karen said...

great song.
the words are soooo good.
hugs,
Karen

Heidi said...

Perfect song..Thankyou for this.