Did you know that there is website called, "We are not afraid" dot com? There is. It is dedicated to pictures of people who are not afraid of terrorism. Not even in the face of 9/11, Madrid, London, Embassy bombings, the U.S.S. Cole bombing or any other act of true cowardice.
I must admit that I swore I would NEVER fly again after 9/11. Then 1 1/2 years ago, my brother had to have emergency brain surgery. I never even thought of 9/11. I boarded a plane w/G and we got there. That was all that mattered.
Since then, a lot of things have happened. I all of a sudden couldn't go outside. Couldn't leave the house. Couldn't face the awfulness anymore, but I have been working on it. I confessed my dread to my little sister and she has been helping me. She has coaxed me outside with little mind games that I can play with myself. She tells me why I should go outside, too.
Yesterday, it all began to make sense. The second bombing in London had taken place and she told me that she wished that she could go over there and get on the subway in defiance. I couldn't understand that. How could you face it. Well we discussed it and it began to soak in. She pointed out the website to me and said that it was inspirational.
I went to the site and began looking through the pictures. People were not afraid. And people were creative. Then slowly, mind you, it began to dawn on me...Terror is just that terror. "They" are trying to terrify us into staying home. "They" are trying to make us stay off of the airplanes. To make us stay off of subways, trains and buses. "They" are trying.
I was letting them succeed. I didn't even realize that I was helping the terrorists win. I didn't get it. I didn't get it until yesterday when my little sister and I chatted and then I began to explore the website.
Then I turned to the bible and found a wonderful passage: Matthew 10:28
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
All of a sudden the light went on in my brain. I have no need to fear terrorists. They cannot kill me-not really. They cannot condemn me. They cannot deny me my own loving God. I am saved. WOW.
Then it all made sense and this very morning, I told my little sister: "If I am going to die at the hands of terrorist's attempts to paralyze the world, then I am gonna go out leading the band!!!!" It's true and I mean it. "They" cannot win and I realized it while my younger sister was holding my hand. Thank you, W. Thank you for knowing what to say and do to help me see Him in all of this. "They" will not win because God is on our team. Amen.
22 July 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Dear Renee,
It's so hard to push yourself when you fear something. The energy it takes to hold yourself away from things is ALWAYS more than the energy it takes to face. So great that you get that "it all makes sense" now!!!
~Deborah
Thankyou for this..
I'm visiting a friend in Boston...And will probably head into town on Monday via Subway..So much extra security with police doing the ramdom checks on people..I've said " they cannot win" but I'm still quiet anxious/nervous..Gonna check out that website now.
They will never win, because we are too defiant. Thank you for this post...little by little, I will overcome my terror fear as well...
You are loved.
Sarah
so true. always your buddy fearlessly, fruitgirl
Post a Comment