21 July 2005

Happy, happy, happy birthday

Six years.
I can't believe it.
Six years old.
Amazing.

7.21.99
It is a hot sweltering day. And I mean hot. I am wayyyyyy pregnant. And the doctor's office calls to tell me that I can't have my scheduled c-section because there is an emergency. Okay, fine...but REALLY! What a jip!

The day went on and G decided that he may as well just go to work. I spent the day in the AC reading.

That night, precisely five minutes after G fell asleep, I rose to make a trip to the bathroom before I turned out my reading light. I climbed out of bed and realized that there were flashes of lightening. WOW. We were in for a HUGE storm. Just as I began to step away from the bed, a nice little gush took place. "Uh, G?" I said kind of timidly, "my water broke." He replied, "Shut up!"

I wasn't kidding and he began to make phone calls. I got in the shower real quick and then dressed and was ready to go. By then, the sky was falling almost literally. The wind was kicking things around like they were weightless. OH GREAT... a SEVERE THUNDERSTORM warning and a Tornado Watch. Hey, a little drama is good for the adventure factor.

We arrived at the hospital and I'm telling you, I shouldn't have bothered with the shower. I could have washed on the way to and from the car. I was soaked from head to toe. It was very comical and I mean that in the BEST sense. I didn't care about anything. I was ready to meet Number One Daughter.

Well the epidural wouldn't go in and just before the fifth try, the anesthesiologist said if he didn't get it this time, they were going to use a general. Well miraculously it worked. Enter G. There he was all decked out in surgical garb. He looked ready to deliver her by himself.

About 20 minutes later, Number One Daughter cried. It was wonderful. It was awesome. It was SIX years ago.

So Happy Birthday Number One Daughter. You are so sweet, I could pour you on my hot fudge sundae! I love you for the little lady that you are and for the lovely lady that you will be when you grow up. I love you for your sensitivity and laughter and caring ways. I love you for being so graceful and feminine. I love you for being my one and only Number One Daughter.

Cute aside:

She told me this afternoon that she is going to die if she doesn't get her ears pierced tomorrow. she said, "Does it feel like a shot? Will I cry." I said probably. Then she said she would wait until she is older...then after a moment or two she said, "I want my ears pierced. I'm going to be brave."

We called ahead and they are going to pierce both ears at the same time so that she won't have to have the pain twice. She is excited. She picked out her birthday outfit and is all ready for her day.

4 comments:

Karen said...

happy birthday number one daughter !
the both ears at the same time thing is much better. gets it over with really fast !
have fun !

The Walker Tribe said...

Happy Birthday to Number One Daughter.

Thanks for sharing the story. Can't wait until I have to deal with the ear piercings.

for_the_lonely said...

Happy birthday to your little girl!!! She seems like such a darling girl! What a blessing you have!

Love,
Sarah

Pete said...

Wow......six years old.....i bet it's gone quicker than you could ever imagine. She is really lucky to have a mum like you.

Happy 6th