I have not been able to find my voice. I can muddle through a post or invent a post, but in reality, I have lost my voice.
My thoughts won't gel. I am stunned, I think. I first learned of Lexi's plight six months ago. A group of women had made a Winnie the Pooh comforter to raffle off for some charity and instead of using it for the charity, they gave it to Lexi. They wrapped her up in a homemade hug.
I know that she is healthy and wants for nothing now. I know that she is better off. I know that she wasn't my child. Yet, in the back of my mind, I can hear her parents' sobbing. I can hear her siblings crying for her. I can hear these things and I cannot speak.
I do not think that it is about Lexi. It isn't about Shasta Groene, who was miraculously found alive in Idaho or the mystery in Aruba. It is not about children dying of cancer or at the hand of their parents or someone else. No it is not about them.
It is about me. I cannot for the life of me figure out how I am supposed to stop things like these from happening. I know that I want to help protect children. I know how much I love children. I do not know how to use my knowledge or abilities to help them.
So my voice is gone. My dad and my husband try to tell me that I cannot save the world. Well that may be true, but I cannot figure out how to do something meaningful in my little corner of it.
I used to earn my living with my voice. Right now, I feel like I have opened the mic and that my mouth is open, but there is nothing for me to say.
05 July 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I don't think that you have lost your voice at all.
Through your compassion, you have brought the matters of world concern to your blog, and shown all of us your caring ways. I understand how you feel though. It seems as though what you do is never enough. But it is like Lightfeather said to me once...you light one candle at a time, and before you know it, you have a torch.
Keep lighting your candles, Renee. Your voice is still here...I hear it every day.
Love,
Sarah
Sometimes it is in the moments of quiet, when our minds are focused on nothing but pure intent, that the miracle comes. Not by outward action and movement, but intent of the heart.
I know sweet spirit. I know the feeling well. So does your spirit. Action is taking place whether your voice is speaking or not. Trust that.
Not true. I had seen Lexi's story on the news. I saw how they were going to go on with the skating fundraiser even though she was out east. It just didn't click. Why? Because my heart and my mind cannot bear to hold every sick or abused child. So, occassionally I will tune it out when I hear it on the news.
You brought Lexi out to me in a different way. I cannot help all the children. Even though you showed me the way to giving money to this family, I could not stop Lexi from dying.
Hopefully, each generation cherishes their children more than the generation before. We understand more fully how our hurtful comments and inattentiveness to their daily lives can leave scars just like physical abuse.
We are (hopefully) raising our children with love and understanding. This translates to children who grow up and have families and treat their families right. We cannot stop illness from taking children by ourselves, but by being good parents and good examples to other parents, we can help stop abuse. At least that is what my prayers are for.
It's hard, make a difference, volunteer at the shelter, salvation army, your local aids clinic, there is SO much you CAN do to raise your voice, you will not loose it, only make it stronger. The mere fact that you even care is proof your voice is not gone. Stay strong ...
a voice is simply a vehicle that carries the inner self into the outer world. there are many languages- any means used to communicate is one.
perhaps what you are in search of is not a renewed voice, but a new language.
one thing is certain. there are no resounding gongs or clanging cymbals here. (1cor13.1-3)
love deeply and be patient as new language is learned- it may take more time than you think to express what you have to communicate.
when God finally spoke scientists called it the big bang, but life leapt into the void ex nehilo.
shalom, buddy, shalom.
PS: sorry to sound so much like a fortune cookie today.
Post a Comment