18 July 2005

Lexi's Mom's journal

These are the entries of Karla Georgeff's journaling about Lexi's final attempt at quadruple organ transplant surgery. I thought that you would want to know:

June 29, 2005 at 09:23 AM CDT
We are slightly delayed here, there is a donor at CHP that is a match with Lexi. The doctor told us that is is not a perfect candidate for the intestine, because the donor was on blood pressure medication and size of donor is larger than they would like. Dr. Soltis told us that if it weren't for the donor being in this hospital, they wouldn't even look. Anyhow, we haven't heard anything yet. I am thinking that it probable won't pan out, because it has been too long again. We were suppose to hear a while ago. Will keep you posted.


June 29, 2005 at 02:22 PM CDT
Lexi just went into surgery. I don't know if they profused the new intestine, so nothing is definite yet. I do know that the liver looks great. I will keep you posted. If the intestine is good we won't hear anything for 2 hours. Karla


June 29, 2005 at 04:05 PM CDT
Karla was just told that they have made the incision in Lexi - so from what it sounds like the transplant is beginning and they are going to be able to use all of the organs for her. Please keep praying that everything goes as planned during this long operation and keep Lexi, Karla, Dale, Jeni, Michael and of course the surgeons and their assistants in your thoughts and prayers! Thanks :)


June 29, 2005 at 11:17 PM CDT
What was our happiest day has now turned into our saddest. The surgeons had to stop the transplant surgery - Lexi was not strong enough to make it through it. God has now chosen Lexi to be with Him and all of her angels. We are so very very sad,,,,,,Please pray for Lexi and Lexi's family for the strength to get through this sad time.


July 01, 2005 at 04:12 PM CDT
Thank you to all of you who have been calling and leaving messages for our family through the most difficult situation that we have ever had to face. We are overwhelmed by your love, support and prayers, and are so proud of Lexi-that she was an inspiration not only to us, but to an entire community and beyond, even for people who did not get a chance to ever meet her. Also, thank you to all that turned out last night for the vigil. The house looked so beautiful when we arrived home. Again, thank you all for everything. --The Georgeff Family


July 18, 2005 at 07:43 AM CDT
I don't know how we will ever be able to thank everyone for all their help, love, support and prayers. I am at a loss for words. I am so proud of Lexi and miss her so terribly! She really was a brave, brave angel. She suffered so much and still maintained her sweet, beautiful self. I do know that she is in a better place and free from pain and suffering. So many people have asked us what happened after we went to Pittsburgh, which is why I am posting this; it is just too painful to have to talk about it so often. Two days before she passed she was having a pretty good evening. Her ammonia levels were high but OK. She was joking around with Dale and I and even talked to a few people on the phone. We are so blessed for that day! The next morning the ammonia started to climb again and continued to get worse on the final day, all she was doing was sleeping. When we knew the surgery was a go, we woke her up to tell her that she would be finally getting her transplant. She told us that she was scared and we told her that everything was going to be OK. I sat with her in the holding area before she went into surgery. We talked and hugged and I must have kissed her a thousand times and told her as many times how much I loved her. Dale and I sat in the waiting room preparing for a long, long wait. Two hours after leaving her we received a call saying that the surgery was under way. At last, we were nervous but glad that her lifesaving surgery was on its way. Then 2 hours later we received a call from Dr. Mazariegos. He told us that Lexi was having a lot of bleeding and that she was having blood pressure problems. He told us that it was possible that Lexi might have an infection that they didn't know about. Our excitement was now turned to nervous and scared. After about another 2 hours we were called and asked to come to the surgery holding area. Now I was feeling terrified and shaky. I couldn't believe what was happening. I asked the nurse if Lexi was all right and she responded "she is holding her own." We waited in the holding area for Dr. Mazariegos it seemed like forever before he came out. He began to tell us that they had to stop the surgery, because her blood pressure was bottoming out and she was on a lot of blood pressure medication already. He said if they didn't stop that she would die on the table. OK I thought, she is going to be OK. Then he continued to tell us that she was going to be brought to the PICU and we could be with her. That is when I realized that she wasn't going to make it and then found out that she wouldn't even make it through the night. We were with her for about an hour before she passed. It all felt like a bad dream. As far as we know there may not have been an infection, she was just to sick and weak to make it through the lengthy surgery.


There had been so much hope and then as the day unfolded, obviously things began to go wrong. I don't think that anyone believed that the outcome would be anything but good. You can hear it in Karla's voice. You could see it on the faces of those who knew and loved her. Lexi left a void that won't be filled, but she also created a huge family of people to lift up her parents and siblings after she passed. Her legacy is that she was brave to the end. She lived her life like she was well, so well in fact that no one, not even her closest friends knew of her ailment until the crisis began in May. There is an angel looking down who earned her wings before she left this life. She gave many people the opportunity to earn theirs too. From the pilots who were on-call 24/7 for at least six months, to the online messages of support from strangers, Lexi touched the lives of people who she would never meet. She's up there running and jumping and eating anything that she likes now. Heaven must taste as good as if feels.

4 comments:

Dr. Deb said...

I was so moved by your blog. Stories about Lexi, 9/11, Live8, London, angels and children. I will be back to visit.

Take Care ~Deborah

for_the_lonely said...

I agree with Deborah...I don't think that there is another blog that I read that is as caring about world issues as you are.

These enteries made my cry. As a parent, I am sure that it is the worst loosing your child...and to be able to move on is even harder. Thanks for sharing her words with us. You are a blessing.

Love,
Sarah

lightfeather said...

Lexi's surgery came around the same time as my mother's and although the situations were not the same, I felt such a bond with this little girl. I am so blessed to read your blog Renee. You know you have a voice. A true voice that rings so loud and clear and caring for all of humankind. You are the miracle!

Karen said...

sad, touching and beautiful.
I was moved by this very much.
thanks for sharing it Renee.