31 July 2005

Fleeing the coop

Why is it so hard for a teen to fly the coop? It is laden with anger and argument. It is fraught with tension and distrust. And to top it all off, it is just like when I was preparing to flee the coop. Therefore it is revenge. Someone, I'm betting my mother, cast an evil spell on me. You know how it goes, "When you grow up, I hope you have two children just like you!" Evil words.

Every Mother's Day, I telephone my mother and tell her that she got her wish. I tell her that I have three kids that are just like I was. Apparently it isn't enough because I still get the evil eye.

My 18 year old is ready to be on his own---in mind only. Yet, he is in the midst of pushing everyone aside w/out care or compassion. It doesn't help that his siblings are so much younger than he is. Six year old Number One Daughter whispered to me recently, "he is in a good mood. Is He nice now?" ROTFLOL Yes, he was for about 30 sounds.

Some days are better. Some days are worse. I just wish that the coop wasn't so hard to flee. I know that he needs his space, but there are requirements of being a family, not the least of which is respect. It is hard to get respect from an 18 year old when he is telling me how much he hates me. It is almost funny because it is such a childish statement, but it isn't funny for all of the reasons that you are thinking right now.

I want to help him make the transition, but I guess that is the whole issue in a sentence. He doesn't want help. He wants to spread his wings and take flight. He wants to soar to those ice castles in the sky. At the moment, I would prefer being a bird. Most mother birds simply desert the nest and leave their young to grasp that they are on their own. Then again, mother birds don't get to see the fruits of raising their brood...like their children's children. Here's hoping 18 year old is blessed with children who are just like him. And I mean that in a good way. (With only a hint of the evil eye for good measure;)

5 comments:

Karen said...

it's tough, isn't it?
I have to admit though that there are times I kinda smile inside now seeing my son dealing with his own children and facing the trials and tribulations that parenthood brings.
It has made him see what we all know.
Children are the best thing we ever experience in life.
it gets hard at times but when they are grown they realize how much we love them.
Their perspective changes as they raise their own and they look at their parents in a whole different light. I did the same thing with my own parents--most of us do.
what an adventure--whew wee !
hugs,
Karen

for_the_lonely said...

Oh yes, the evil eye..I know it all too well. I believe that I was the queen of sarcasam, back talk and eye rolling. I knew that my actions had rubbed off on my sister when she was 4 and rolled her eyes. LOL

I don't reacall ever telling my mom that I hated her...but she would always say " you'll regret (fill in the space) when I am dead!" I fear that those words will haunt me for the rest of my life...

I hope that your son starts to buck up and act like a young man. It's a rough and rocky road, but in the long run...yes, one day....he will thank you for everything that you have done for him. That seems like the miracle of all miracles right now, but I promise you, it will happen!

Love to you,
Sarah

Cindy said...

I'm thinking it's a rite of passage, it's just a hard time for everyone. I dread the day when it's my turn.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.
I've been telling a story, but I switch to real time periodically, just to let long time readers what's going on in real time,

dixiedarling said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I have looked at the PTSD treatment link you give and I appreciate your having it. I understand completely what you are going through. I went through it with my son before he joined the Army. Seemed like every day we thought is today going to be a good day or a bad day. Eventually with time, they do come to realize that what they have at home - they will never get anywhere else, love, free room and board, no responsibilities (but to clean their room and go to school) family. The love and family yes, free room and board, no responsibilites - I don't think so. Of course explaining this to them at this age is useless. I to apologize to my mother everytime I talk to her and I also can't wait for my kids to have kids so they can know what I have been through. Thanks again for stopping by and for the information.

Anonymous said...

omg, cant believe it. i have been unable to comment on your blog for weeks and weeks. flying the coup is kinda like breaking up. some go easy and some a dreadful drama. as was mine with my parents a hundred years ago.

so what do ya figure ro is up to, re parkers encouragemnet? her blog is so captivating!!! thank god, or i'd never met you.