24 June 2005

Freak out

Last night G, Number One Daughter, Little Big Boy and I went out to dinner. It was soooo hot and humid. A family was sitting at a table across from us and they had a little baby boy. I love babies and was admiring him from our table. One of the women explained to me that she was the baby's grandma. Then she said as she pointed at Little Big Boy, "You are his grandma?" {Freak out!}

"The old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be. Ain't what she used to be. Ain't what she used to be..."

Truth be told, I cried after we left the restaurant. Boo Hoo. As Bugs Bunny would say, "Ehhhhhhh, Shut up!!!"

I have my 18 year old, but I never had a family. I never had a good man. This is my "second time around." I was 42 when I had Little Big Boy. You know what that's okay. This is the best time of my life.

I look at my little ones and my husband and I think, I am so lucky. I am trying to concentrate on that. I am trying to keep my face to the sunshine. I am trying to make myself over.

Yeah, it hurt when she said that, but so what? I have the best of both worlds. I struggled with my Oldest. Single mom and all that comes with it. And now, I have a great husband and help. I have children who are loving, creative, compassionate, soulful, happy. This is the life. I'm one lucky mommy and I know it.

I wish that she hadn't said that, but I will be okay because this really is the best time of my life. They keep saying 40 is the new 30! I AM ONLY JUST BEGUN!!!!!



Now, step aside Deary, I want to look in the yellow pages for a good cosmetic surgeon. F, f.... F-a...F-a-c. F-a-c-e-l-i-f-t. Oh and then, b-e-a-u-t-i-c-i-a-n...color the gray... sigh. Vanity wins.

4 comments:

www.kimmy.cc said...

Renee,

I love this post. Did I mention that a "medical spa" opened near my house and they do Botox. I feel ya girl, if I could afford it, I'd do it LOL

Lois Lane said...

Better late than never my new found friend. Visit Home Fires sometime this weekend if you can and see a child bride. That'd be me. I had my little big guy when I just turned 20. I really thought back then, I need to have children young, so I can keep up with them when they get older. Boy what a freakin' dope I was! LOL!
Have a great weekend!
Lois Lane

for_the_lonely said...

I am sure that you look great for your age! And your kiddo's keep you young and going!!! Good for you!

Love you,
Sarah

www.kimmy.cc said...

Renee,

You are most welcome. My neighbors? Their house burned, they think the car caught on fire somehow, they have 2 babies. It is very, very sad .... We had the benefit for them tonight