02 May 2005

Riding the bus...

Riding the bus was an experience that will not soon be forgotten. Don't you want to climb aboard and ride with Beth? I know that I do. How I wanted to go with her on her last trip or rather the last frame of the movie. And how touching the ending was...Rachel was going to have a baby.

It ripped my heart out when Beth held the baby and then later wanted one "I will love it, and that's the important thing." Yes. That is it in a nutshell.

It made me think of the time when I worked with developmentally disabled adults. Most were in wheel chairs and were quadriplegic. Well my 18 year old was three and I brought him with me to work one afternoon. One of "my girls" had an electric wheel chair. PJ said, "Can I ride in your car?" Well we laughed and my girl said yes. I put PJ on her lap and he grabbed the toggle switch and varoom off they went! If it could have, it would have burned rubber; I'm telling you, her head went back and they were off to the races.

Sure, PJ, now Paul because it is more 'manly', made a mistake and called her wheelchair a car, but he accepted her without looking at her twisted hands, her immobile legs. He saw someone who could get around just fine. He saw possibilities. He saw the truth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i swear i know the girl in the first chair. a very cool berkley girl named Portia. she once buzzed her hair short,
went to hawaii, and came home with that hair a bright beautiful aqua marine blue.

Gina said...

Beautiful story about PJ. I love when children aren't affraid of my wheelchair and let me give them rides.

lightfeather said...

What a beautiful story! And what an amazing movie!

I will love it, and that is the important thing. Yes, it is. There is only love.