28 May 2005

Mr. Skinner

We lived on a cul de sac in Japan, stationed there to get officers closer to Vietnam. See, they, the enemy were killing officers very fast in Vietnam, so they needed to station officers close in case they were needed to lead troops.

On the curve of the cul de sac, was a four family unit. In the center left were the Skinners. Linda Skinner was my best friend; she was one year younger than me. We played Barbies and other things together.

Linda Skinner's brother's name was Allan. He was in my class at school. He was the light of my lfe. Oh! How I loved Allan Skinner. Brown hair, cute...talented. He wrote a play and I was his leading lady. Oh! I did love him.

Their dad was as big as a house. A ten-story house. He was a big man in every sense of the word. Tall with broad shoulders and a quick smile. I remember the first time that I saw him. He looked exactly like John Wayne. I am not kidding. There is a saying that everyone has a twin and I have seen it proved twice. I have seen my twin and I have seen John Wayne's twin.

Mr. Skinner was home--in Japan--on leave. I will never forget that man, if only because the image of him is seared in my brain as he excited his residence. There it was John Wayne in the form of Allan Skinner's dad.

I don't know how long it was after I first saw him and I don't remember actually hearing the news, but I remember seeing the dark sedans come rolling down the cul de sac. I remember all of a sudden all of us kids had to go home. I remember our eyes following the dark sedans rolling to a stop before the four-plex. I remember the men--many men--in uniforms with lots of shinny bars on them. And I remember them heading toward the four-plex...all seemingly walking at attention. Then the leader of the group did a crisp turn in front of Linda and Allan Skinner's door. All of the men seemed to march up to the door. Rap. Rap. Rap.


Mr. Skinner had boarded a helicopter that morning. He was heading home. His helicopter was shot down and he lost his life. It was somewhere between 1969 and 1971. He died a hero. He died defending our freedoms and a country where we have so much and take it for granted. Yes, he died far from home, but so close to being there...this man, officer, father, husband, friend. Larger than life-that was Mr. Skinner. John Wayne had nothing on Mr. Skinner.
Memorial Day, 2005, God Bless America

2 comments:

for_the_lonely said...

Spingles...true spingles, Renee.

I am proud to be an American.

Sarah

lightfeather said...

God bless Mr. Skinner as I know God blesses each of us. Only in the United States do we have so many freedoms, so many opinions, and the right and responsibility to share them.