What is the con-troversy? Chinese figure skating pair Dan Zhang and Hao Zhang went out there to perform their long program. They were going to attempt a throwing move that had never been performed in competition. Unfortunately this lithe beauty fell hard on her knees.She got right up. Her tears and pain were obvious. She went back out on the ice and tested her knee. Trainers questioned whether or not she should attempt to finish the routine, but she was not to be denied. These after all are the Olympics-She as worked for this moment all of her life. This was their moment.
They took back to the ice and every lift...Every jump...Their footwork and grace were exemplary. This team deserved to medal.
Their performance reminded me of Carrie Strug's jump when her knee was injured. You could argue that Zhang wasn't as injured as Carrie was, but I would challenge you on it. Who is to say how much pain she felt? Her adrenaline kicked in and she "brought it." I couldn't be more proud, if they had been American skaters.
The heart that I witnessed last night brought me to tears. This. Yes THIS is what the Olympics are all about. Heart. Competition. Perseverance. I was so moved by Zhang and Zhang's performance that I watched it again at about 4:30 a.m. CST and I was moved to tears again.
The Olympics are a celebration of mind over body-sometimes. On a day when so many athletes had to be flown out of the competition and then they stated today that they are going to still try to compete-well that is what the Olympic spirit is all about.
I was treated to a pairs' figure skating performance that was worthy of a gold medal. Giant hearts from the land of giant pandas....It's all good.

2 comments:
I'm sorry I missed it. Not the fall or the tears, but the
beautiful routine they work on for hours daily, weekly, yearly.
You are right. These are the cream of the crop. No borders, just human beings doing the best they can do. Life changing for them to go to the Olympics.
It is a pleasure to see how people can get along and compete together without governments.
Your post moved me to tears Renee.
That was one of the most amazing performances I've ever seen. I saw the replay at the end. She nearly pulled her leg out of joint the way she fell. The fact they finished so well was incredible. And deserved.
Post a Comment