12 February 2006

Kwan's true grace

I have supported Michelle Kwan in her quest for gold each time that she has pursued it. It has eluded her. This year she was given a spot on the Olympic team even though she wasn't able to earn her way onto the team. At the time, I blogged that Emily Hughes should have been the one allowed to go to Torino.

By withdrawing from competition this early, Michelle Kwan leaves enough time for Emily Hughes to get up to speed.

I watched the footage of Michelle Kwan choking back sobs as she talked to her coach after she cut short her practice. It was heartbreaking. Michelle's struggles on the ice to achieve the pinnacle of her hard work hasn't been easy to watch. It is like watching Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner. These things happen.

Michelle cemented her championship status by pulling out of the Olympics because her injury will not allow her to compete. By reaching this decision-under heartbreaking circumstances, yet again, I think she has won something here that is much better than gold. She displayed more grace off the ice than she can ever achieve on the ice and that is a lot of grace. In time, I hope that she sees it that way, too.

No comments: