For some reason, eating out became a habit and as many know the documentary "Super Size Me" showed in alarming detail what happens when you dine out every night for one month.
I do not know when dining out became the focus of our family activities, but it has taken over our lives. Both Number One Daughter and Little Big Boy want to dine whenever they see their grandparents. Unfortunately and without realizing it, we have nurtured this desire all of their lives.
The buck stops here.
I stumbled upon the Discovery Channel's National Body Challenge. It starts in earnest on January 14th. I have already created a meal plan for the first week! I must take time out now for a short vent:
Discovery Channel's National Body Challenge web pages are NOT USER FRIENDLY! I started a team: Carpe Diem-Now I am unable to invite anyone to join the team, but worse yet: I AM NOT EVEN A MEMBER OF MY OWN TEAM. Further, when I was trying to make my meal plan, it was deleted twice before I figured out how to save it. You can't scroll with your mouse on the menus either. It doesn't sound like a lot of issues until I add this: It took me two hours to register and make a one-week meal plan. Granted, next time I visit, I will fly through it, but you will need to plan time to learn the quirks of the system. Vent-off.
The great thing about the site is that you will find recipes and a funny little shopping list. The shopping list is not based on the amount that you actually need during the week. It simply puts: "bags of spinach" on the shopping list.
My meal plan is about 1500 calories per day. That is ideal for me. G gets an extra 500-800 calories per day and it is easy to add them. We are going to do this together, but more importantly, we are going to break the cycle with our family. We deliberately didn't eat holiday meals at our families' homes. I prepared meals here. It was good for us. We have been weaning off of dining out, too.
The fact of the matter is that I got lazy. I lost my life in the past six years. Two pregnancies and a major surgery plus three falls. But I'm taking my life back this year and I am so lucky to have G want to come with me.
This May, we will celebrate our tenth anniversary. He has one and a half years left to go on his second college degree and a job waiting for him upon graduation. We are definitely blessed. We are going on a second honeymoon for our 15th anniversary. We are going to slide down the Seven Sacred Pools in Hawaii.
Before we depart, we are going to: lose weight and get in shape; take ballroom dancing lessons; learn to dance without counting the beat, which means we have to take lessons within the next two years so by the time we land in Hawaii, it will be second nature to twirl around a dance floor. We are going to change family gatherings from meals to activities-like a trip to the zoo.
It is an ambitious plan and for the first time in many, many years, I am excited about losing weight and getting in shape. There was a time when I ran two miles in 14:20. That's damn good and I worked hard to get there. I could do ten tricep push-ups. I could hike up a mountain, work all day and hike back down the mountain again-ten days in a row.
I'm ready to work back to it. It is time. G, Number One Daughter and Little Big Boy are all a part of the plan. We will make this life-style change for the rest of our lives. If you would like to make a healthy life-style a reality in 2006 and need a jumpstart, come with us! Visit Discovery Channel Body Challenge 2006.
You have about one week to prepare yourself mentally for it. We're going to make this change for the rest of our lives-no surgery-no pills-no gimmicks. Just a quick two-month start that will help us prepare for the rest of our lives. We also have Dr. Phil's Weight Smart book to guide us through. So, here we go; let us know if you are going to come along! No matter what you try to change this year, I wish you success.

6 comments:
Congratulations to you, Quierda!!! As you know, I am doing Tae Bo, while watching what I eat...it can be rough, but I know that we'll get there in time! :) Wishing you all the best!
Love you,
Sarah
I wish you the best of luck.
I'm on a bit of a heatlh kick...no chocolate.....ME...NO CHOCOLATE......IT HURTS I TELLS YA.
No beer during the week....and lots of salads and exersise.
I should be doing this anyway but the old Christmas flabbies got me again this year!
P.S I tagged you!
Good luck with the meal plan! We seldom eat out, mostly because I'm cheap. But it is nice to sit around the table at dinner. The Wife started a nice little family habit of everyone telling 3 good things and 1 bad thing that happened in our day. It's to remind us that there are far more good things that happen to you than bad things, and its a conversation starter. The kids like it so much they make a fuss if we forget.
Goodluck Renee and thanx for the link..gonna check it out.
It's already the second week of Jan..By the time May comes around I say the same thing every year..
" Why didn't I start in Jan" :(
Hi there deae Renee,
How did your day go? I thought that maybe we can be "buddies" with our weight loss progress...hey, the more, the merrier right? :)
I worked out today, and sweat like a pig...drank tons of water, and had a great chef salad for dinner! :) Some days are harder than others, but the end result is always worth it!
Wishing US all the best!!! You are loved! Keep up the great work!
Love,
Sarah
That's awesome. Good luck with everything. I've always been a physically fit person. 6'3" and about 230 lbs. So - before the end of last year (05) I went and got a physical....my triglycerides were through the roof. Doc told me to lose 30 lbs. Which for my frame is a bit unrealistic. But I am giving it a shot.
So - good luck to you and your hubby. I think it's a good move.
Post a Comment