05 January 2006

More than one miracle

Anderson Cooper showed JR's letter with his scrawled message that he didn't suffer. A shame and a courageous note to write. "I just went to sleep." My heart breaks again for the 100th time since the real truth was revealed in the wee hours of a very long morning.
I imagine that we will never know how deep the pain is for the families of the lost miners at the Sago mine. My heart is full of prayer and hopes that they find peace.

On the other hand, there is a survivor. I think to call this "one miracle" even though it was hoped that there would be 12 miracles is not putting the proper light on the matter.

God performs miracles. The survival of all of the miners would have been a miracle as is the survival on one miner. Imagine if it had happened the other way around:

The word spread on everyone's lips was that all 12 miners had been located and none of them had survived. The extreme sorrow would have been hard to witness. But imagine if after all was thought lost that word came that one of the miners was breathing. He was in critical condition, but they were rushing to get him out of the mine. He was groaning. His body temperature was many degrees below normal.

When his body was lifted from the mine there would have been a burst of cheers that could be heard far and wide. The ambulance would have passed a standing ovation just like it did on that fateful night, but everyone would know that this precious cargo was a miracle...not "just one miracle."

Randall McCloy, Jr. is part of the miracle. It is very unfortunate that more lives could not be saved. Yet it IS a miracle that they all survived the blast....It IS a miracle that the men had the presence of mind and the compassion to leave notes behind that assured families that their men had not suffered only fallen asleep peacefully. It is a miracle that rescue teams were able to reach the men without being harmed themselves.

I am very sad that McCloy's family has to endure these days of waiting and hoping and praying. It is endearing that the world is full of people who are praying for his recovery-that, too is a part of the miracle.

The Sago mine tragedy is exactly that, but there is a miracle at work and we need to be thankful for it. I know that many people do realize and voice their gratitude for this miracle, but it is time to turn all of the attention to the survivor and his family. Heaven help them if he does not recover-that would be yet another cruel twist to the tragedy, indeed.

I am tired of the press trying to goad family and friends of the befallen to lash out at the owners of the mine. MSNBC is the only news outlet that I have seen take part of the blame. I must applaud their integrity. Some of the anchors who are at the Sago mine still try to get rash statements and continue to air statements that were made in the heat of the moment. Greater attention is being paid to the families possible lawsuit than the fight for life taking place in a trauma center miles from the mine itself.

My heart is broken for the loss of 12 miners. My prayers go out to the families involved. I hope that the media stops the sensationalization of the tragedy. Here's what I would like to see: anchors get down on their knees and pray for the miracle to include recovery for McCloy, Jr.

Thank you Jesus for prayers answered. If it is God's will, may this tragedy include the survival of Randall McCloy, Jr.....for his family's sake. Also, Jesus, can you please help mine owners realize that they owe it to their workers to staff rescue teams on-site. Training is costly, I know, but the precious moments that were lost in mobilizing rescue teams from distances may have made the difference in the final outcome of the tragedy. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

3 comments:

www.kimmy.cc said...

No miracle is too small. It is amazing.

Peace be with you.

lightfeather said...

I truly believe in miracles.

Loving you,
Lighty

Karen said...

beautifully said.
miracles are everywhere.
thanks for this post Renee.
hugs,
Karen