06 January 2006

Hello, my name is Renee

and I'm a Christmas-aholic!
My tree is still up. My wrapping paper is still at the ready. I tell myself it is because we have not celebrated with 18 year old yet. However, I know in my heart that it is because I cannot bear to see the season end.

When I enter the kitchen, I stroll to the cd player and turn it on. I'm greeted with my favorite Christmas carols. The ones that I am listening to now are sprinkled with my faves from my youth.

My other favorite disc has Madonna's version of Santa Baby-which is the most decadent version of all. And it also has Santa Claus is comin' to Town by the Boss-no one can sing that song better.

My kids still enjoy listening to the music with me-though we have taken to pushing the forward button when Elvis' Blue Christmas comes on. We do not know a "Blue Christmas" together because we are blessed. I hope that my children will always be blessed with peace and joy at Christmas.

I have known sorrow and want at Christmas, but I do not keep that alive in my heart. It is the joy and comfort of the holiday that is burned into my memory. The Jolly Ol' Elf will always come to my home and I am a better person for it. In keeping Christmas alive-even in January, I am calmer.

So excuse my lights and tree if you must, but I would prefer to sit with you in our family room and share a cup of hot cocoa with you while we continue to keep the spirit alive-if only for another day.

4 comments:

for_the_lonely said...

How beautiful, Quierda...I want to come to your house and sit with you and listen to Christmas carols all year long...you are wonderful, and greatly loved!

Love,
Sarah

Dr. Deb said...

Mine are still up too.

~Deb

The Walker Tribe said...

I found myself humming Christmas carols in the shower this morning. A sure sign that I still want to have the Christmas spirit around.

=)

Love the Carrie Underwood video. Watched it several times now. Her voice is amazing.

Karen said...

today is 1-16-06 and my tree and decorations are still up :)
I just don't want the warm sparkle and love for the season to end yet.
I think I may leave it up for another week or so--maybe until the end of January ! LOL
hugs,
Karen