My dad mentioned to me that there weren't many homes decorated for Christmas this year. He lives in South-eastern Missouri. Last night I picked up Number One Daughter from her Brownie's Christmas Party and ran some quick errands. Lo and behold, there weren't many homes decorated here either.There are your die-hard decorating fans who put up their overblown outdoor displays no matter what; you know the kind that actually rival the National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation display. But I am talking about your average decorator. You know: Joe Outdoor Decorator. A simple string of lights around the roof of his home and maybe a string or two of lights on his hedge, but nothing too extravagant. Apparently Joe Outdoor Decorator can't afford to put up his tasteful lighting display this year. What a shame!
One of my most favorite memories is driving around and looking at Christmas lights. When 18 year old was 18 MONTHS old, he would squeal happily, "Yites!!!!" It bothers me that there may be children who don't get to see the enchanting displays that he enjoyed. I loved light displays when I was little too.
So I am alarmed, but I have an idea on how to fix this problem. The outdoor lighting and decoration manufacturers need to, "put the squeeze" on electric companies. Yes! The Outdoor Lighting & Display Manufacturers Mafia, if you will. I imagine that outdoor lighting and decoration manufacturers have a lobby because a lobby is a requirement if you want to be heard by our government.
Granted not all electric company's are city owned, but that doesn't mean that lobbiests couldn't work on privately-held electric company bigwigs, too. Surely, the Manufacturers Mafia would be able to persuade electric companies to hold down rates so people can turn on lights.
All kidding aside, what about heating? It is a crime that people cannot afford to keep their homes warm enough in winter. Stories of fixed income elderly literally freezing to death is reprehensible, to say the least.
I wonder what electric company upper management's home lighting displays look like? I would venture that they can afford to put a whole lot of lights on their upper class homes. Hmmm. I think I have an extra long extension cord lying around here some where...

1 comment:
I say that you plug in that extra long extension cord, and let 'er rip! LOL
Love ya,
Sarah
Post a Comment