When years have rolled by and there has been a rift or misunderstanding with a sibling and out of the blue a holiday card arrives, I am tempted to run to him. Especially because the signature line makes it seem that it is quite possible that he could be in a lot of pain.Then my pride or whatever you want to call it takes over and I do not know what to do. I want to grab the telephone and call him because he sent his new phone number. I want to tell him that I am here and never went away.
Then this voice inside of me wells up and wants to scream: YOU CUT ME OFF.
You did this and it hurt my heart...Without explanation and with a lot of chat between our parents and sisters, you cut me and my family out of your life.
I think that I know why you did it. My Number One Daughter had sent several letters and messages to you when you were very, very ill. You never replied and I scolded you. I think you were ticked off about it. Well, what price my daughter's feelings? You have three daughters and never considered how they would feel if I had done the same to them. You would have moved to protect them.
I'm sorry. I'm sorry for the years that have been lost. I am sorry that it looks like you are still in pain. Most of all, I am sorry that you didn't understand that a little heart reached out to you. A little heart was trying to comfort you. You didn't even acknowledge her.
Where did you learn that? Her heart is worth the trouble of a note. Even one sentence: Thank you, Number One Daughter. Just one sentence.
I am sitting here paralyzed by this. I have written you a Christmas card, too. I only wrote them last night. But it is sitting here because I don't want to set my kids up for pain again.
Seven years ago, I left my parents house on Christmas Eve. We were hundreds of miles from home and I left anyway, husband and 18 year old in tow. It was an awful night. Eighteen year old was 11 years old. I was pregnant with Number One Daughter. The awfulness was in the air. It was smothering. I yelled at my father. He said things; I said things and we left. I remember looking towards the back door and he turned off the light before we drove away. That was a defining moment. I left their home in darkness. I remember that night as if it were yesterday. 18 year old vomited in the backseat. His tummy was a rage because of the awful confrontation. We didn't even get that far away and stopped at a hotel. We had Christmas in a hotel that year. Bright and early we arose opened gifts and then hit the road. It was a 14-hour drive home on Christmas day. We had the roads to ourselves that year.
Several weeks later, I called to talk. My dad said, "It's a bit too early for that." So I hung up the phone. I do not know when we began talking again, but it was that year.
I talk to my parents and miss them, too. I would like to go visit them again, but that chance that there will be ugliness weighs on me and I do not go. Neither Number One Daughter, nor Little Big Boy have met my parents. I have invited my parents to my home, but they do not come. To be fair, they do not visit any of us-their children that is. They have their reasons.
The disfunction in this family has caused many a rift. Now I need to decide whether or not "fixing it" is worth the trouble and possible pain. I remember when my dad was gone...In Vietnam and when he was simply stationed abroad for a year at a time or stationed in San Diego when we lived four hours north, that I was the one who walked down scary dark hallways to make sure that bogeymen were at bay. It always turned out to be a branch against a window or something benign, but there was that one real-live bogeyman in our lives. The "grandfather" who trolled the halls at night.
But the bogeyman that remains alive and well in my imagination now is the one that I cannot figure out what to do with. I know that families cause each other pain and you move on, but I am hypersensitive when pain lands on my children's doorstep. I am determined that they will not be harmed. So I sit here and I can't make myself step into that darkened hallway in my mind.
I would like to call my brother; I really would, but I am staring at the phone. I would like to go visit my parents for the holidays again...But the trek is haunted with carnage and the phone lines are tied up in carnage. Once upon a time, the carnage was my heart.

3 comments:
You have forgiven. That is a gift to yourself. You have not forgotten. That protects. And makes taking that step much more cautious. When it is time, you will know my friend, you will know. Caution thrown to the wind, forgotten the need to protect.Yes, the time will come and you will know.
I love you,
Lighty
We were invited to my dad's house for Christmas...the invitation came from my sister. Granted it WAS in invite, but it did not come from my dad, and we both know that Jenn is not really " welcome" ...for many different reasons. I hate to choose sides...we all want by gones to be by gones, really...but it is just not time for us to move on yet. I hope that your Christmas will be wonderful..with or without your family. I'll pray for both of us! ;)
You are loved!
Sarah
Family Rifts can be so hard. We are in the middle of one with my Grandmother... I have vowed, not to subject my child(ren) to that. In my heart I fear that my Grandmother will never hold our baby that is due in the spring.
I have tried to bridge the gap only to be turned away. I can't face that pain again. I won't.
I pray that you find peace this holiday season.
Post a Comment