22 November 2005

Turkey, trimmings and tidings of joy

G is working part of the holiday, so we are lying low. Just us. I like it when it is "just us." It takes a lot of the anxiety out of the equation.

Granted there are so many "issues" that crop up when we do this. His family lives in town and they all go to his parents' house for the holidays. I should say that they "converge" on his parents' house. His mother's family is large, as is his father's family, but it is his mother's family that gathers for all of the holidays. They celebrate everything.

It causes hurt feelings when we do not go, but that is not the intention. Sometimes, I like a more intimate celebration. I grew up with just the four of us kids and mom and dad at holidays. It is comfortable when it is a small number. No competition during discussions. Less stress. Most of all I like an intimate celebration because you can focus on the people who make your life better every day in wonderful ways.

So this Thanksgiving, I'm grateful to have time with my husband and children. I invited P. I told him the offer was good until 9 p.m. on Thankgiving. He didn't know what his plans were and I doubt that he will come, but the invitation is out there. I am going to gather my family around me and enjoy their company. This holiday is just for us.

So from our peaceful celebration to yours-even if yours isn't;) Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy everyone and everything. Don't forget to taste the life!

http://wandascountryhome.com/autumnsharvest/

8 comments:

for_the_lonely said...

I grew up with a very smal Thanksgiving get together as well. Having a larger one would have made me feel uncomfortable. I don't blame you for wanting an intimate meal..it just makes it all the more special! :) Here's wishing you and yours a special Thanksgiving!

Love,
Sarah

sydwynd said...

You sound like my wife. She's used to quiet holiday meals and my family is Italian. We get everyone in a room and have conversations across the table at maximum volume, often interrupting each other. Plus the conversations are half Italian, half English.

I still enjoy it, though getting home to peace and quiet afterwards is nice.

lightfeather said...

May your Thanksgiving be as warm and wonderful as you!

Love to you,
Lighty

Lois Lane said...

Happy Thanksgiving Renee and fam!
Lois Lane

Dr. Deb said...

Wishing you many wonderful memories today.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Deb

Pete said...

Hope you have a great day. Even though we don't celebrate T-Day here, I will be sure to have a second helping at dinner tonight to celebrate

for_the_lonely said...

I hope that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Quierda...I think of you often...

Love ya,
Sarah

Karen said...

I grew up with big family gatherings but these days with everyone scattered so far apart it is much smaller than the old days. my best friend and I do all the cooking and have a good time while everyone else watches the parade and lazes around. then we all watch a movie or two and nap off here and there. whoo hoo, we are a wild bunch, huh? LOL
I enjoy the time we spend together and wouldn't change a thing.
hugs to you and yours,
Karen