27 November 2005

A paper clip to remember

One paper clip for every victim of the Holocaust. Six Million Jews. Five Million others-exterminated by the Nazis in Germany. Eleven million people killed in total because a crazy man had an idea that their lives would "contaminate" the rest of the world.

The Paper Clip Project is complete, but it is not over-not by a long shot. Paper clips were gathered and sent from all corners of the world. One suitcase of paper clips was prepared by a group of German students who wrote letters of apology and requests for forgiveness from Anne Frank.

I watched the documentary: Paper Clips, now showing on HBO. It changed me. It moved me. It made me think. Imagine being one of the eighth graders involved in bringing this project to life. You will discover why paper clips were selected as the symbol of remembrance and you will learn the meaning of the butterfly paintings and the butterfly sculpture that is near the museum.

Eleven million paper clips are stored in a genuine rail car that housed Jews on their way to the concentration camps. Survivors stories and moving letters from their families are read. I encourage you to watch it.

Prejudice is alive and well and it sickens me. If you watch this documentary, it will show you what the residents and students of a small Southern town did to understand the weight and cost of prejudice. More importantly, it will show you what prejudices live in you and how you can change it.

I am forever changed by this documentary and the Paper clip project. The students and community of Whitwell, Tennessee took an amazing journey and you can go for the ride. Again, it changed and enlightened me and I know you will be too.

6 comments:

Pete said...

We don't get HBO here......but I might be able to find this somewhere on the net.

Thanks...I will go look now.

Pete

Janice said...

I just saw the movie "Crash" last night. Amazing the ripple effect of racism and the miracle of "passing it forward"

for_the_lonely said...

Oh rats...I wish that I had HBO...that documentary would totally move me too, being as I come from a Jewish heritage. Movies that move you, or inspire you are the best, aren't they? So glad that it touched and moved you, and that you decided to "pass it on"!

Love you,
Sarah

sydwynd said...

Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out if I can.

Nancy said...

Thanks for the info. I will watch it with my kids!

Karen said...

we don't have HBO either but will keep my eyes open and look for it elsewhere. thanks for the tip and hope I get to see it. sounds like it is excellent.
hugs,
Karen