30 July 2006

Busted!

My heart is heavy tonight:
  1. Children are dying in wars around the world. Seems like another country erupts into war each week.
  2. Mel Gibson's conduct during a drunk driving arrest is more than appalling. I cannot believe that he spewed such hatred. If he made The Passion of the Christ from this chair of bigotry and ignorance, then I am not at all sorry that I wasn't able to watch the film. The pain that I heard about was sure to send me reeling. I am so sensitive to such things and make other's pain my own. I cannot believe that he was so awful. And alcoholism isn't a good enough excuse to act like he did. God doesn't hate Jewish people. How can any hate anyone when claiming to do something in His name? It's absurd.
  3. My 19 year old asked my father if he would come to his Naval Academy graduation. My father said, "I don't know. I have to think about it." This is typical of my father. He declined to walk me down the aisle at our wedding without giving me more than, "I don't see how I can do that." No explanation. Nothing. It still hurts ten years later. Yet, it hurts me more that my son reached out to him-my father was a career Marine-for his support and my father..."Captain Father" declined. As near as I can figure it, he declines such things because my great aunt left her house to him. He is fearful that someone will break into it, so they just stay there. Never visiting their children or grandchildren. My father has never met Number One Daughter or Little Big Boy. Never. I don't think it is in the cards either. When I think of taking them to meet him, all I can think of is that if they meet him and my mother, they surely will face rejection from them. So I think, "No, thank you, Sir." I don't want my small children to have to live with the rejection that you inflict on your own children...much less your first generation of grandchildren.
  4. I hope that peace reigns in Israel and Lebanon.
  5. I pray for peace in the Middle East...Sometimes it seems like no one is listening...

3 comments:

Dr. Deb said...

Your post really hit me hard. Especially the part about your father.

sydwynd said...

That's too bad for the 19 year old. It's sad when a man won't live up to the responsibility of being there for his kids and grandkids.

sjobs said...

Your post really hit me.

I am sorry that your father is like that.

Every night I do pray that the violence in this world just ends and at times, I too, wonder who is listening.

Mary